Do you know those days when you wake up and are very hot? And I don’t mean to be saucy here, I am referring to this unpleasant sensation that you are burning, have a red head and could storm outside right after bed to cool down (if it weren’t for the 4 floors = 8 flights of stairs). I am 24 years old, seriously, my climacteric period is far, far ahead. So whatever it is and whether some of you have this strange hot morning flashes as well or not: I found a pretty great breakfast option for that. Because, what cannot be cured with a delicious breakfast? This is what I recently go for if I cannot stand the thought of hot oatmeal, an omelet or even coffee… oh wait, I do not care how hot I am, I will still have my coffee and eat this breakfast afterwards to cool me down:
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder *you could replace with 2 tbsp oats and vanilla extract
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup frozen watermelon *optional, but highly recommended
- 1/3 cup mixed berries *I used frozen blueberries and fredh strawberries
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt *for vegan option use soy yogurt
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/4 avocado
- a bit water to get the blender going
Place all of the ingredients but the protein powder/oats in your blender and blend up for a minute. Add the protein powder and blend until you get a smooth, creamy consistency (will be better the more frozen ingredients you use). Pour in your favorite breakfast bowl.
Quick Maple Granola
- 1 tbsp rolled oats (1 cup)
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds (2 tbsp)
- dash of cinnamon (1.5 tsp)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (2 tbsp)
You could either make a quick portion of this recipe, just as a topping for your smoothie, or you could go all out and make a whole batch. Of course you can double or triple the quantities if you like.
Mix oats, flax seeds and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the maple syrup and incorporate everything. Let sit while preheating oven to 350 F (180 °C). Spread out evenly on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Let bake for just about 5 minutes. Watch closely to not let them burn – they will be done quickly, I assure you.
Place on your smoothie (some yogurt, or eat with milk). Enjoy!